This evening I completed the last part of this task and sent my final cover off to the printers to collect from Ravensbourne in the morning. At the start of this task I was lost with all the idea’s I had in my mind, part of me wanted to photograph a band and part of me wanted to create something a little different as that was too easy.
In the end I went for something different and I was extremely happy I made that choice because not only did I get some really good photos for this task but I also got some really good photos for my portfolio. All of my team was happy with the final edited photos and Im also planning to meet up again with one of the models next week and he is going to help me submit the images to various magazines he knows.
With all my planning I made in advance and doing a little work on my workbook nearly every evening for this particular task, everything run smoothly and when it came to shooting on the day I was a little nervous to get started but also very hungry and couldn’t wait to get things started. I knew my team would show so that was some pressure off my mind and after a few energy drinks that morning I was ready to go!
The total cost for this task was way over budget, as I had planned to spend no more than £40/£50. In the end I ended up spending £120 just on the models and make up artists travel, breakfast and car park charges. Props cost me around about another £20 so all in all this was expensive so I knew I needed to get some good images from this and I done just that, but if I could do it all again I would be a lot tighter with money.
My knowledge on how to use the Phase One is around about the 90% mark now and investing in my own camera was definitely the right thing to do. As I said before if I own something and have something in my hands I will learn how to use it more than sometimes using someone else’s in the studio. Im looking forward to hopefully obtaining my Phase One Certified License.
The final idea was not to go with the two models on the front as this was far too much and did not look like a album cover. I had a photo of just the black model on his own and I said to myself “this is a cover photo”. After applying it to my 12×12 Template I knew straight away not only did it fit perfect but I could see what direction this cover was going.
I decided to go down the route of ‘RAP/GRIME’ music as I could imagine the model I used for the cover to be a grime artist spitting bars, making peoples parents hate the latest album there son/daughter just purchased because of all the foul language in it. I grew up listening to Eminem and Dr.Dre when I was a kid so I guess I always had the urge to create my own cover so I think thats where this idea came from in the end, was my childhood love for Rap/Grime music.
If I could do it all again I would probably shoot something slightly more fine art. However this particular cover is kinda borderline fashion/fine art and Im happy with it. I have showed friends and family back home the cover and gained there approval. Even my Dad liked it and that makes a change coming from him.
In this instance research and planning helped make the shoot go smoothly but the cover was something that kinda developed along the way and I didn’t realise what I really wanted until the very end. This was a good project and I fully enjoyed it, Im glad I pushed myself and got myself a real team than just brining in my uncle bob or mate who lives down the road, like some of the other classmates did. What I have tried explaining to them is this is a opportunity to get the experience in now otherwise when it comes to the billboard project they wont know whats hit them.
Saying that I wont speak to soon because I cannot predict the future and I don’t know how mine will even turn out yet. But wish me luck and I will keep trying my best to deliver something good. Peace Out!